Steam Vaporizers & Your Sinuses
A steam vaporizer is type of humidifier that converts water into a warm, moisturizing mist to combat the harmful effects of dry air on the sinuses.
Sinus infections, whether acute or chronic are associated with a number of painful symptoms, including nasal congestion and inflammation, sore throat, fever and sinus and facial tenderness. Your daily routine and social life can be rudely interrupted when you are suffering from a sinus infection.
Managing the delicate tissues in your nasal membrane to prevent bacterial or viral infections is key to preventing sinus infection symptoms.
There are many methods of treatment for improving sinus health. Vaporizers are special in that they are a safe, natural and ongoing remedy. Vaporizers also allow you to add certain beneficial oils that strength your immune system and offer you soothing relief. Simply add a few drops of extract into the water basin and turn on your vaporize. Within an instant, the air will begin to fill with a refreshing air that you can inhale deeply, causing your dry and blocked sinuses to transform into a well-moisturized, clear airway.
You can find eucalyptus or lavender oil in your local drugstore.
Dr. Bennett’s Helpful Steam Vaporizer Tips
- Because warm-mist vaporizers use steam to create moisture in the air, be sure to keep the machine out of the reach of children, as it could cause burns when handled by small, delicate hands.
- Sleeping in an elevated position will decrease nasal congestion. Place a few extra comfy pillows behind your head and allow any blocked or infected mucus in your sinuses to drain with ease.
- You can use tap water in your vaporizer, because the steaming-function keeps the water minerals inside the water receptacle.
- Clean, clean, clean! Clean your steam vaporizer after every use. The most effective cleaning technique is to create a solution of 1 part bleach, 9 parts water, and use a clean sponge to scrub the basin thoroughly.
- With steam vaporizers, there is a danger of over-humidifying that can actually increase mold, bacteria and other harmful allergens. Keep the humidity at a recommended level at between 45% to 55%.
- Increase the effectiveness of your vaporizer by combining its use with a healthy and balanced diet, and a weekly exercise routine. Your sinuses will thank you!
- Always position your vaporizer in a room where you spend the most amount of time. If it’s a day when you feel especially stuffy, stay nearby the vaporizer and inhale deeply to ease your sinus pain and break up the blockages.
- You can mimic the effects of a vaporizer by running a hot shower and breathing in the steam.